Friday, January 7, 2011

Did it myself!

I'm pretty proud of me....if I do say so myself!

For a while, I've been wanting to update one of the bathrooms.  Nothing major - new faucet, replace the medicine cabinet (with a mirror) and change the light fixture.

I'm in major cleaning/organizing mode and thought it would be a good time.  Frank and I have gotten pretty good at changing faucets so I thought I'd give it a try by myself.  Only 2 trips to Home Depot (the original to get the faucet and the second for supply lines.)  Not bad!  Got it all done in 2 hours (which included the second trip.)

Before

After  (including drain).  No leaks!
Part II
Medicine cabinet and Light Fixture

Taking the medicine cabinet down shouldn't have been a problem.  There were only two screws attaching it to the wall.  One screw came out pretty easy.  The other (fortunately the top one), wasn't as cooperative.  But I put a little muscle into it and down it came. 

The light fixture was pretty easy to take down** as well, but I probably should have taken it down before I bought the new one.  Unbeknownst to me, when the contractor installed the fixture oh-so-many years ago, he "tested" the wall every half-inch to find the stud.  So, it was a second trip to Home Depot to get spackling. 

**For the safety monitors reading this, I turned of the power before starting the removal process.

White to white, black to black.  Ground wire to green screw.  Lightbulbs. Power back on.  Voila! 



Overall it was a pretty easy project!  (Thankfully, Home Depot is just up the street.)  :o)