Thursday, April 14, 2011

Guest Blogger!

For his first, and hopefully not his last post,
please let me introduce (*insert drum roll*)........
Guest Blogger, Frank Jones!


------------------------------------


Me and Matthew McConaughey…… 



Believe it or not, the Crazy Travelers aren't all sports and food.

It seemed like last week was our week for the arts. Leann was developing her painting skills and I learned that a local Tampa bookstore was hosting a book signing for one of my favorite authors.



During our December visit to the West Coast, Leann’s brother Dan introduced me to the Michael Connelly series featuring LA detective Harry Bosch. Connelly began the series in 1992 and through 2011, has written seventeen Harry Bosch novels.



My usual book-reading MO when I find an author I enjoy, is to start with the first in the series and read through to the most current. (I’m currently on number nine in the series, “Lost Light”.) The books are getting progressively better and I’m getting through them at a pace of one a week.



Even though his novels are all placed in LA, Connelly has strong ties to Florida. He grew up in Ft Lauderdale; got a degree in journalism from UF; started as a reporter in Florida and currently resides in Tampa. Since he lives in Tampa, it was expected that there would be a good turnout at the book signing and they were right. It was standing room only by the start of the event but Connelly was cordial and accommodating. I got to speak with him before his talk and he admired my NautiNole shirt.



In addition to the Bosch series, Connelly has written four novels featuring the character Mickey Haller. The first novel Lincoln Lawyer, is the basis for the newly released film (starring Matthew McConaughy as Mickey Haller) and the latest, The Fifth Witness, was the subject of the book signing.



Connelly spoke for about an hour covering many aspects of becoming a successful author and having his books put to film. His web site has links to a number of video interviews, the most recent on the subject of the Lincoln Lawyer.


In the end, not only did I get some personal insight into Michael Connelly, but also got to appreciate the work that goes into producing a successful series of twenty-four novels. 


I had a good time and I’m glad I went.  And, who knows, I may start to be a regular blogger.