Friday, April 8, 2011

A little wine, a little art and a lot of fun!

About a month ago, the daughter of friends took a huge leap of faith and started her own company - doing something she's passionate about (and pretty darn good at) - hopefully making some moolah at the same time. 

Brianne launched Monet & Merlot!  IMHO, she's got a great business plan.  She has partnered with various businesses (restaurants, wine shops, etc) to use space for her classes.  Brianne provides everything participants need (canvas, paint, brushes, pallets and aprons).  Everyone paints the same picture under her patient instruction.  Participants are on their own for food and beverage provisions but many of the venues offer specials.  Pretty good concept if you ask me...very little overhead on her part, bringing business to local establishments all while having lots of fun.  (And she'll bring the whole deal to you for a private party.)

So many paintings to choose from!  Her calendars are filling up with many wonderful painting and venue options. 

Ok, I'm the least artistic person I know.  I can't draw a straight line with a ruler!  And drawing/painting something three-dimensional?  Forget it!  (I had a very bad "middle-school experience" with trying to draw a brick and I'm pretty sure it scarred any artistic ability I may have had.)

Trauma and drama aside, I thought this would be something fun to try.  I tried to rally some of the neighborhood ladies, but some were traveling for work, some had another event and some just plain ol' woosed out.  However, a long-time friend from RJ days, Joellyn, and her S.O., Mike, were a bit more adventurous and signed up.

Last night's event was at Cru Cellars.  Yummy wines, delicious cheese and charcuterie selections and a fair number of people coming and going.
Yep, we were going to turn those blank canvases into a work of art.
Brianne, Leann and Joellyn

The first step was the easiest - paint the whole canvas black!
My confidence is building....I think I might be able to do this.

The next step was a bit intimidating for me, but Brianne offered some tips and
 promised we would be able to fix any imperfections at the end. 

"Not-so-circular circles" are done and even added three colors! 
It's starting to resemble Brianne's.  :o)

So far, the stem is the only thing that resembles a martini glass....

The "artistes" at work.

I think Joellyn and Mike have done this before, 'cause they certainly have the eye and talent!

I guess when you put it next to the "real" paintings it does look like a martini glass.

Wow!  We did it!
Thanks, Brianne, for your patience, creativity and wonderful instruction!