Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Day 9 - What happens in Vegas...

It wouldn't be a complete trip out west if it didn't include a stop in Las Vegas!   (And what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas, except for what I'm about to share with you.)

Knowing we were going to be doing a good bit of walking around on our Wild West adventure, I wanted to make sure I had proper footwear, and proceeded to order a few pairs of shoes.  Anyone who knows me, knows that I'm the 'self-proclaimed #1 Zappos fan'.  (Zappos is the online shoes-and-more store with free shipping, witty adverts and great customer service.  But click here for the official story.)  My order arrived lickety-split and I was able to determine which ones would be best for me.  With Zappos free returns, I quickly got the ones I didn't want, back in the mail.  A few weeks passed and I had yet to get the oh-so-informative email announcing they had received the merchandise and I would be getting my scratch back.  I hopped online and chatted with a lovely gal who assured me they had been received, but not entered into the system yet.  Not to fear, she was empowered to issue the credit.  At the end of our delightful chat, she mentioned that if I was ever in Vegas, I was invited to come tour their operations.  

What?  Come see the most wonderful place on earth?  Learn how they run their operations and see if those advertisements were as true as they said?  Oh happy day!  I checked the calendar and booked that tour f-a-s-t!  It's like we were going to OZ!  (Having previously taught customer services classes and managed a large customer service department, I was anxious to see what all the hoopla was all about at Zappos.)

Yep, we found the right building.
(If you can't tell, I'm just all giddy with excitement!)

When you enter, there is a small reception/waiting area filled with all sorts of fun decor, colorful distractions, a popcorn machine, etc.  (Some with a less-than-fun attitude might be a bit put off by the abstract random decor of the area.)  Let me just say, you get over it PDQ!

If you dare to enter the building with a necktie, it is quickly pronounced "Wall Decor" and they will offer you a pair of scissors and thumbtack to add it to the wall.

One of the Insights Team members, Renea, guided us through Zappos.
Milestone T-shirt wall
(Anytime Zappos had some significant experience/event, they produced t-shirts for all employees.)

Pictures below are from our tour.  (If the appeared chaos and clutter is too much for you, please skip to the end.)  :o)
Area where the product/merchandise buyers work.

Conference room for buyers to meet with merchandise reps.





Conference room for the home goods team

6PM is a separate company, but falls under the Zappos umbrella.


Wishez is the employee system where people can enter wishes they have and co-workers grant.

Lunch room - FREE food for all employees and guests!

Yep, they get to express themselves on the walls!

Then we moved to the Customer Service/Customer Loyalty Team area of the company.  This area handles phone calls, emails, and live chats.



An optional resource available to all employees is an in house Life-Goal Coach.  If anyone has a goal (personal or professional), they can meet with the coach (who will hold them accountable) as they are working toward that goal.  When someone reaches their goal, they get "The Royal Treatment".

Most of the 'streets' in the work areas have names.  Very apropos there is a Jones Blvd.  :) 

People who reach their goals are encouraged to share on one of the walls.

Operations are located in Las Vegas.  Fulfillment center is located just outside Louisville, KY (not to far from UPS).
Employees from each location are encouraged to spend time in the other location to understand how what they do impacts the other and the customer.  (Plus it gives everyone an appreciation for each other.)

Amazing employee benefits!
(I'd totally work there for free!)

The Insights area (decorated to bring the outside in).

When you leave, you get to add your name tag to Lucille!

Everyone who goes on tour gets the Royal Treatment:  select their crown of choice, the opportunity to sit in the giant throne AND hold the royal Zeptre.  

Thanks for putting up with my fuzzy pictures and snarky commentary.  For a professional and more entertaining tour, click here for the Virtual Tour video.  (It's pretty much what I've written here but with a much more personable host and more scenes from around the company.) 

Awesome experience!  If you're not a Zappos customer, well, you're just silly!  :o)

No comments: